Join us for an Invasive Species Scavenger Hunt
Urban and rural homeowners from across the Credit River Watershed are invited to participate in an interactive invasive species scavenger hunt. Discover whether you have invasive species on your property and learn about what you can do to stop them from spreading and how CVC can help.
Win a Native Plant Prize Pack
When you register and participate in the webinars or scavenger hunt, you’ll be eligible to enter into a draw for a native plant prize pack. Read the contest rules.
How to Get Involved
Invasive species are aggressive, non-native plants or animals that can take over your yard and garden, harm the local environment, and reduce the beauty and enjoyment of your property and the natural areas in your community. Stop them before they spread to avoid infestations and time consuming and costly removal.
Urban and rural landowners in the Credit River Watershed are invited to participate. While we encourage everyone to use iNaturalist to discover the plants on their properties, our programs and services are specifically for watershed residents. Check if you live in the watershed using our property look-up map.
The Scavenger Hunt officially takes place June 24 – July 31, 2022. But you can use iNaturalist at any time to identify and report the plants you find on your property. All watershed landowners who register and participate in the Scavenger Hunt will be entered into a draw to win a native plant prize pack. The winner will be notified by email August 1.
Participation is easy and requires no previous knowledge of invasive species. We’ll be using the iNaturalist app, an easy-to-use citizen science app that helps you identify plants and animals from photographs you take with your phone. Follow these simple steps to get started.
- Let us know you’re participating by registering for the event. We’ll send you detailed instructions with your registration confirmation.
- Download the iNaturalist app from the App Store or Google Play store. Create an account using your email address, Facebook or Google account.
- Join CVC’s Nature Invaders project on iNaturalist by clicking on Community and selecting Projects. Search for Nature Invaders. Click Join.
- Start hunting for invasive species on your property and reporting your discoveries using the app between June 24 – July 31, 2022.
- Register for one of our upcoming webinars to increase your knowledge of invasive species and plant identification skills.
By participating, you’ll also get access to resources and tips and tricks from our experts to help you identify and manage invasive plants on your property.
Invasive Species News
Take Action to Combat Invasives Invasive species have become so common in Canada, that the Ontario based Invasive …
Come Along for a Day of Learning Join CVC’s Emily Stacy, a Technician in our Watershed Monitoring department …