Planning and Permits
Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) is a watershed-based resource management agency. We have many roles and responsibilities in the land use planning and development process.
- We administer Ontario Regulation 160/06 to ensure the protection of life and property from natural hazards such as flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or unstable soil or bedrock.
- We safeguard watershed health.
- We provide technical advice, plan review and plan input roles to watershed municipalities.
- We are a commenting agency under Ontario’s Planning Act.
- We have delegated responsibilities for natural hazards under the Provincial Policy Statement 2020.
Why You Need a Permit
We issue permits in regulated areas to protect people, property and natural features from flooding and hazards.
You may need a permit from us if you plan on doing any of the following work within the regulated area in our jurisdiction:
- Construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind;
- Changes that alter the use, or potential use, of a building or structure (i.e., commercial use to residential use)
- Increasing the size of a building or structure, or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure
- Site grading
- Temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material (including, but not limited to fill, dirt, stone) originating on the site or elsewhere
- Straightening, changing, diverting or interfering with the existing channel of a river, creek, stream, or watercourse
- Changing or interfering with a wetland (including, but not limited to, fill in a wetland, dredging and grading)
Contact us if you are unsure whether your proposal requires a permit from CVC.
The requirement of a permit from CVC is in addition to any building permit or other approvals issued by municipalities or other agencies. Contact your local municipality for information on additional approvals that may be required.
CVC’s Regulation, made under the authority of Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, is known as Ontario Regulation 160/06. We may require the issuance of a permit for projects in the Credit River Watershed in the vicinity of a:
- Valley slope
- Lake Ontario
- Hazardous lands
See if your proposed project area is in the Credit River Watershed using our regulation mapping.
Our Permit Application Process
Our process aims to support you in your efforts to secure (a) permit(s) for your construction project in the Credit River Watershed.
A permit from CVC does not replace building permits or any other approvals required by a municipality or other agencies. Contact your local municipality for information on additional approvals that may be required.
Permit Application Steps
Contact us to request for a pre-submission consultation with one of our Planning or Regulation staff before you apply for a permit. We’ll:
- Review your proposal
- Determine if the property and activity are regulated
- Identify what is required for a complete submission
- Provide you with additional information
- Answer any question you may have
- Give you an application checklist that lists the documents you need to prepare for a complete permit application
You will receive an email confirming we have received your application. One of our Planners or Regulation Officers will review your application. We will provide you with a file reference number, and contact you should we require additional information.
Find More Information
We help residents by responding to inquiries about their property and guiding them through the planning approval and permitting processes.
We are committed to answering your questions.
- Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Connect with us Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- In person at the Planning Counter at our Administrative Office is currently unavailable
- By phone 905-670-1615 or toll free 1-800-668-5557
Review Key Documents
- Policies and Guidelines
- Memoranda of Understanding – Municipalities
- Application Checklist
- Fee Schedule
- Letter of Authorization
- Client Service Guideline
- Region of Peel and CVC SLA for EA and Permitting Services
Please note our office is currently closed to the public.