Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
This position provides full-cycle accounting services and ensures the integrity of the company’s financial information by providing timely and accurate financial reporting and transaction processing to support efficient and effective accounting management and operations. This position will also act as a Team Lead to coordinate activities related to the general ledger, accounts payable & accounts receivable in support of the full-cycle accounting process.
- Chartered Professional Accountant, CPA
- Minimum 5 years of corporate accounting experience in a medium-to-large size organization
Summary of Major Tasks
- Post entries to the general ledger including sub-ledger batches, interface files (e.g., payroll), bank
- entries, accruals, amortization and miscellaneous journal entries
- Coordinate activities related to the general ledger, accounts payable & accounts receivable
- Oversee the recording of credit card transactions
- Oversee the summarizing and recording of Conservation Area revenues, reconcile them to POS settlements and bank deposits
- Oversee the summarizing and recording of transactions related to the Nursery operations, fleet operations, staff labour chargebacks to projects and pre-paid expenses
- Perform month-end and year-end closing procedures in a timely manner
- General ledger account reconciliation & maintenance – prepare timely account reconciliations
- Investigate discrepancies and unusual items
- Bank reconciliations
- Analyze and review clearing accounts
- Oversee Reserve-related activities including consultation with program staff, journaling & reconciling and updating various reserve schedules
- Maintain the General Ledger chart of accounts including editing, adding and activating account codes
- Generate Budget Status Report and Crystal Reports
- Oversee the preparation of annual invoices to municipalities for levies
- Co-ordinate billing activities for non-levy related funding sources (e.g., grants etc.…)
- Maintain Deferred Revenue Schedule including the tracking of advances received & revenue recognition when services are performed
- Record and maintain fixed asset purchases and applicable depreciation and amortization schedules
- Maintain various other schedules including Reserve schedules for vehicles and equipment, vehicle allocations, Forestry sales
- Provide support in fulfilling requests during the annual external audit
- Reconcile, prepare and submit HST Return online. Assist with internal HST reviews conducted from time to time by external parties (e.g., Ryan)
- File Corporation income tax returns
- Maintain a working knowledge of provincial and federal tax rules as well as procedures and regulations
- Prepare month-end schedules for Finance team
- Oversee the administration of company credit cards, banking operations and point-of-sale machines
- Determining requirements for Public Sector Salary Disclosure on an annual basis
- Occasional ad-hoc reporting at request of Sr. Manager, Financial Services
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to this position