Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Information Management Manager, this position will help to manage information, databases, development of various applications using Node.js and SQL server, and support toward a corporate goal of integrated and interlinked databases throughout the organization. The role will revolve around databases and GIS, however, the development of applications using databases will be a primary role. A basic knowledge of ArcGIS enterprise solutions including ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS online, mobile data collection platforms, and associated visualization platforms is an asset.
The primary role of this position is to work with various application development using Node.js and related platforms within CVC to organize them and integrate them into the SQL server environment. The specialist will conduct and coordinate QA/QC, and UAT, and bring them to a full production environment. The specialist will work with software developers to develop the front-end applications to help the organization meet its requirements.
The other role of the position involves the integration or interlinking of various data and databases, including GIS and other information management systems. The specialist will work with the Manager of Information Management to achieve this as per the corporate direction and Information Management Strategy. This role will contribute significantly to the future of the Open data platform at CVC.
- University or college graduate in computer science or related discipline and\or equivalent formal training, technical certification, or work experience
- Minimum 2 years of relevant progressive experience with data management, databases, Node.js, MS Access and SQL server, data quality review, analytics, GIS, and visualization.
- 3-5 years of experience with data, databases, and GIS systems peferred
- Basic understanding and hands-on experience with SQL Server and MS Access
- Excellent front-end web development experience with tools like VS Code and jQuery
- Awareness of developments in web technologies such as Node JS, React, and methods of implementing single-page applications.
- Experience with database design, implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance within SQL Server environment.
- Experience in the full software application lifecycle, architecture, requirements, design, programming, unit testing, system testing, integration, data migration, user acceptance testing, release, etc.)
- Expertise and experience query building using MS Access and a strong knowledge of SQL server set up and procedures.
- Understanding of a high-level integration of SQL server in solution development and deployment using ESRI based GIS applications.
- Experience with analytical and modeling software related to GIS.
- Hands-on experience in process automation, best practice approach, technology efficiency, and effectiveness
- Requires strong experience in various database-related tasks.
- Experience in troubleshooting and coming up with solutions.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Excels at the highest technical level of all phases of applications systems analysis and programming activities
- Ability to exercise considerable independent judgment, tact, and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external contacts
- Able to present ideas and clearly articulate the concepts to management.
- Excellent problem solving/analytical skills and knowledge of analytical tools.
- Display and execute logical and complex troubleshooting methods
- Report writing and presentation skills as needed
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize and complete projects with conflicting deadlines and urgency
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Proven ability to be innovative and flexible, doing what is needed to get the job done.
- Ability to work independently and self-manage tasks to completion
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service, be a good listener and work well with others
- Outstanding attention to detail with superior time and project management skills
- Ability to learn new content areas and skills quickly
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Experience with project conception to implementation
- Knowledge of various database implementations, including geodatabases, MS Access and SQL server.
- Experience with SQL Query Development and languages (such as SQL and T-SQL) as it relates to spatial and non-spatial databases.
- Experience developing ETL procedures and SQL Server Integration packages (SSIS) for data management of internal systems
- Standard First Aid and CPR is an asset
Summary of Major Tasks
Database/Application Development, UAT, Queries, and SQL Server
- Assist the development team with all aspects of coding, software design, and other duties as required.
- Liase with clients to define business critical workflows and develop systems and process to assist with business automation
- Develop scripts (VBA) and tools in Microsoft Office to standardize and improve client workflows.
- Write code from scratch and ensure existing code is properly maintained to ensure the best possible functionality.
- Coordinate and conduct QA/QC with internal clients and set up UAT before migrating to final production environment.
- Work with Solution Architect to develop new front-end applications using a web-based platform.
- Work with IM Manager and IT staff in setting up the permissions, security, and setup for the environment as needed.
- Assist operations with database backup, queries as needed.
- Support Database administrator on all database-related quick fixes, business planning and integration tasks.
GIS, data management, and project implementation
- Be the database liaison with core GIS team members to ensure that future projects and programs adhere to data integration pathways.
- Maintain documentation such as systems design and build documents.
- Utilize all available tools in GIS, with a particular focus on ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS online, and mobile solutions to help meet users’ requirements.
- Recommend data, data quality, and related software products to the Manager of Information Management, as needed.
- Gather user needs requirements; create scoping, provide relevant solutions to the users.
- Research and stay up to date with innovative solutions and plan for a smooth transition from legacy tools and platforms.
- Use a data-driven philosophy to help bring an objective, measurable and smart decision to CVC.
- As a member of the IM team, work on open data projects to address CVC’s needs.
- Coordinate with the hardware team, database team to ensure proper ways to manage the outputs from the mobile data collection program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Operational Tasks
- Conduct various database-related backups, indexing, security maintenance, and queries, and assist CVC staff as needed.
- Work on various GIS-related ongoing projects on a day-to-day basis that includes mapping, analyzing, QA/QC of various datasets.
- Write codes and scripts to automate various projects.
- Coordinate with solution architect and other IM staff on integrated solution design
- Track, coordinate, and inventory CVC’s spatial data and maintain a guideline, and quality and currency of the data.
- Stay current to technological changes and evaluate new data management, mobile data collection platforms, and help to implement them to meet user needs.
- Transfer knowledge to staff via lunch and learns, newsletter, etc. as needed.
- Assists the department with other day-to-day tasks as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.