Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System - OMERS pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Conservation Areas Superintendent, this position requires the candidate to provide excellent customer service and administration of full conservation area program and operations at CVC’s Island Lake Conservation Area.
- Must possess a valid Class “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing. Successful candidate must provide a MTO Driver’s Abstract. Experience driving all-terrain vehicles is an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public and staff both verbally and in written correspondence
- Standard first aid and CPR is an asset
- Customer service experience is an asset
- Multilingual is an asset
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays
- Must be available to work during our Maple Syrup Festival on the following dates, March 16-19, 25, 26, 31, April 1
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.
Summary of Major Tasks
Perform the following tasks under limited direction when required:
- Prepare maple syrup for taffy samples
- Working around a hot stove and moving from indoor to outdoor conditions throughout day
- Provide visitors with detailed information about the Sugarbush Maple Syrup Festival and about our Conservation Areas from a recreational and educational perspective
- Ensure the safe operation and daily inspection of CVC-owned and operated equipment
- Responsible for handling cash using a cash register with electronic payment and preparing detailed, accurate daily cash reports
- Assist with the implementation of Conservation Area events and weddings
- Carry out general development, park maintenance and operations procedures in the Conservation Area, which could include, but not limited to heavy lifting, carpentry, plumbing and grounds maintenance
- Responsible for the assigned day to day operational duties in the Conservation Area and its facilities
- Provide visitors with detailed information about the Conservation Areas and surrounding area from a recreational and educational perspective
- Maintain a good working relationship with staff, visitors, community groups and on-site operators
- Have ability to work effectively alone and during non-daylight hours
Please note that this position will also be part of our hourly paid pool of employees available on an as per needed basis. You may be required and/or called in to assist during peak periods, vacation, or other leave coverage through out the remainder of the contract