Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
Are you interested in pursuing a career in the outdoors that provides you with a wide range of experiences and skills? Do you enjoy working as part of a team who share like-minded goals? Would you like to help our visitors and want to see them enjoy the same hiking trails, lakes, rivers and forests that you enjoy? Are you curious to learn how parks are managed and operated? We’ll teach you everything you need to know! If this position sounds like a great opportunity for you, we want to hear from you!
Why work for us?
- We offer better than minimum wage for all entry-level positions within Conservation Parks
- We offer occasional, part-time, and full-time (35 hours/week) hours
- We are a part of OMERS, one of the best pension plans in Ontario
- Free access to most conservation areas in Ontario!
- Free weekday equipment rental! Want to try skiing at Terra Cotta? How about boating at Island Lake? Some fishing at Ken Whillans? Ever tried fat tire biking?
- We provide a company branded uniform and applicable Personal Protective Equipment
- Paid training and continuous learning opportunities
- Schedules are published seasonally to help you plan your time throughout the year
- Opportunities for employment beyond the contract
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Senior Coordinator and working closely with the Programming Assistant, Visitor Services, this position participates in the development and implementation of administrative duties and visitor services in person, online and by phone for Credit Valley Parks. You will be assisting in Visitor Services team management and daily operations, located out of the Island Lake CA and Terra Cotta CA gatehouses.
- Post-secondary training in Parks, Environmental or Customer Relations or other related programs or 2 years minimum related work experience
- Experience in a supervisory role is an asset
- Experience with customer service and customer conflict resolution
- Strong mathematical aptitude
- Cash handling and Point of Sale system experience
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Windows 10 and an aptitude for learning new programs
- Must possess a valid Class “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing. Successful candidate must provide an MTO Driver’s Abstract
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work during non-daylight hours
- Available to work most weekends and holidays
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to learn new skills
Summary of Major Tasks
- Assist in training, evaluating, motivating, and supervising seasonal staff
- Assist in the assigning of daily and ongoing work tasks
- Participate in promotion of conservation areas and other CVC related activities
- Maintain accurate records and reporting
- Ensure that work is conducted in a safe manner and that all CVC health and safety policies and procedures are adhered to
- Ensure the safe operation and daily inspection of CVC-owned and operated office equipment
- Answer a high volume of calls to reserve events, facilities and equipment, answer inquiries, respond to emergencies and provide guidance for visitors
- Operate Xplor Recreation (formerly PerfectMind), a point-of-sale system including online sales, bookings and payments, as well as handling cash and Interac card payments
- Collect accurate data, including customer information and postal codes
- Be knowledgeable about CVC programs, all CVC Conservation Areas and surrounding communities in order to inform visitors
- Maintain a good relationship with Credit Valley Parks Pass Holders, community groups and partners
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to the position