Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
Are you interested in pursuing a career in the outdoors that provides you with a wide range of experiences and skills? Do you enjoy working as part of a team who share like-minded goals? Would you like to help our visitors and want to see them enjoy the same hiking trails, lakes, rivers and forests that you enjoy? Are you curious to learn how parks are managed and operated? We’ll teach you everything you need to know! If this position sounds like a great opportunity for you, we want to hear from you!
Why work for us?
Perks of the Job
- We offer better than minimum wage for all entry-level positions within Conservation Parks
- We offer occasional, part-time, and full-time (35 hours/week) hours
- We are a part of OMERS, one of the best pension plans in Ontario
- Free access to most conservation areas in Ontario!
- Free weekday equipment rental! Want to try skiing at Terra Cotta? How about boating at Island Lake? Some fishing at Ken Whillans? Ever tried fat tire biking?
- We provide a company branded uniform and applicable Personal Protective Equipment
- Paid training and continuous learning opportunities
- Schedules are published seasonally to help you plan your time throughout the year
- Opportunities for employment beyond the contract
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Superintendent, Property Management, a Crew Leader for Property Management (Grass/Landscaping) provides excellent customer service and assists with the implementation of the property management program on CVC’s land. Our focus is to provide well-kept and maintained trails and day-use areas for visitors of CVC managed properties. Property Management Crew Leader (Grass/Landscaping) can expect to work mostly outdoors at various parks throughout the Credit River Watershed.
- Must possess a valid “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing. Successful candidate must provide a MTO Driver’s Abstract
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Experience in a supervisory role is an asset
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
Summary of Major Tasks
- Supervise a grass/landscaping crew to carry out grass cutting operations in all parks
- Regularly transport equipment to different sites using trailers with proper load tie-downs
- Operate a variety of grass cutting equipment (ride-on lawnmowers, weed trimmers, etc.)
- Carry out maintenance and operations in Conservation Areas, which could include but not limited to heavy lifting, carpentry, plumbing, grounds maintenance, dam maintenance and trail maintenance
- Ensure the safe operation and daily inspection of CVC owned and operated equipment
- Assist with seasonal equipment changeover from winter to summer