Regulations to Consider

Activities in your natural areas may be regulated by local building by-laws, the Canada Species at Risk Act, the Ontario Endangered Species Act, the Conservation Authorities Act and/or other policies, especially if the area is designated as a hazardous or environmentally sensitive landscape.  It is important landowners investigate their local by-laws and any regulations, provincial and federal legislation that may influence management activities.

If you are building within the Credit Valley watershed, or wish to apply for a permit to undertake a project on your property, you must contact the CVC planning department.  Note that a permit from CVC does not replace building permits or any other permits issued through municipal offices or from other agencies.  It is recommended that you contact your local municipality for information on additional approvals that may be required.

Tree Cutting By-laws

Cutting trees in your woodlot or forest are regulated by your municipality.  Forests and trees are important to the environment and our well-being. Forests protect our supply of fresh water, provide flood control, nutrient cycling and have waste treatment functions as well. Tree-cutting by-laws are in place to prevent over harvesting of forests and to promote sustainable forestry practices.  When considering undertaking forest management activities in your woodlot, it is important to review relevant municipal and provincial policies and regulations.

Tree Cutting By-laws

County of Wellington Forest Conservation By-law

Dufferin County Forest Conservation By-law

Town of Caledon Woodland Conservation By-law

Halton Region Tree By-law?

City of Brampton Tree Preservation By-law

City of Brampton Woodlot Conservation By-law

City of Mississauga Urban Forestry