Before You Build

Site plan review

Resources for landowners considering construction projects on their rural properties.

Your property is part of a larger landscape, therefore it is important to consider the implications of your potential project before you build. Landowners should review existing legislation, regulations, and zoning that may affect plans, keeping in mind that the natural areas on your property may be protected under provincial and federal laws.  If shoreline areas are owned by the Crown, the Public Lands Act will apply, and a permit may be required for any activities – even a restoration project.  Check with your municipal office, local Conservation Authority or MNR to make sure that your project is permissible.

If you wish to obtain further information or to apply for a permit to undertake a project on your property, please contact our planning department.  Please note that a permit from CVC does not replace building permits or any other permits issued through municipal offices or from other agencies.  It is recommended that you contact your local municipality for information on additional approvals that may be required.

For more information please visit the Planning section of the CVC website.

Municipalities within the CVC watershed for building permits, fees and regulations:

Halton Hills