To improve consistency and continue the use of the best information available, CVC is undertaking updates to Ontario Regulation 160/06 (Regulation of Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses), Regulation mapping and the Watershed Planning and Regulation Policies.
Ontario Regulation 160/06
CVC is undertaking an update to Ontario Regulation 160/06. The purpose of this update is to implement the recent revisions done by the Province to Ontario Regulation 97/04 (Content of Conservation Authority Regulations under Subsection 28(1) of the Act: Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses) and to provide clarity to the wording or structure of certain sections. In general, the update includes:
- provisions to allow the Authority to delegate permit approvals to staff;
- allowances for extending the validity of permits past two years (up to five years) under specific circumstances;
- clarification that technical studies to support submissions may be required; and
- removing references to the 2006 transition policies.
Additionally, in the near future the Ministry of Natural Resources will be posting the proposed modifications to each Conservation Authority’s regulation on the Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR) registry for comment.
As part of an on-going process, CVC staff is undertaking an update to the 2006 Regulation Mapping on a watershed wide basis. In general, the update includes revising the maps to be consistent with the most recent and best available information including recent updates to floodplain, watercourse and wetland mapping – recognizing the regulation continues to be ‘text based’. Once CVC staff has completed a thorough review of potential revisions, the mapping will be taken to CVC’s Board of Directors for consideration.
Watershed Planning and Regulation Policies
Similar to the above, CVC staff is undertaking an update to the Watershed Planning and Regulation Policies (April 2010). The purpose of this update is primarily to address ‘housekeeping’ matters and to improve consistency with existing CVC, Conservation Ontario, Provincial and Municipal practices or policies. In general, the update includes the following:
- minor formatting throughout document such as renumbering and referencing;
- guidance for lot creation where the purpose is to facilitate conveyance of lands to a public body;
- guidance on avoiding negative impacts to the natural heritage system on ‘adjacent lands’;
- modifications to clarify floodproofing standards for accessory structures; and
- clarification of setback criteria for development adjacent to valleylands and wetlands as it relates to natural features and areas contributing to the conservation of lands.
Once CVC staff has reviewed comments and completed any necessary revisions, the updates will be taken to CVC’s Board of Directors for consideration.
For further information regarding any of the above, please contact CVC’s Planning Department at 905-670-1615.