Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
To provide excellent customer service and administration of conservation area programs and operations at CVC’s Island Lake and Terra Cotta Conservation Areas and related recreation programs. This position will operate from the Gatehouse at Island Lake Conservation Area in Orangeville and the Gatehouse at Terra Cotta Conservation Area in Terra Cotta (Halton Hills). Staff could be rotating between both locations to provide flexibility, improve your knowledge base and have a diverse experience and getting to know the whole Conservation Parks team.
- Must possess a valid class “G2” driver’s license in good standing
- Ability to easily engage with the public and staff both verbally and in written correspondence
- Be able to work in adverse weather conditions and on weekends and holidays
- Strong communication and customer service experience
- Strong mathematical aptitude
- Cash handling and Point of Sale system experience
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail
- Confident speaking on the phone and answering email correspondence
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Windows 10, and an aptitude for learning new programs
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays and during the Maple Syrup Festival including the following dates: March 11-19, 25, 26, 31, April 1, 2
Summary of Major Tasks
You will be trained to perform the following tasks under limited direction:
- Provide a welcoming experience for visitors and potential visitors to our Conservation Areas
- Safe operation and inspection of office equipment at the park gatehouse
- Answer a high volume of calls and emails in order to reserve facilities and equipment, answer inquiries, and provide guidance for visitors
- Correspond with staff and visitors via email, phone, text, or internal communication system
- Collect accurate data, including customer information and postal codes
- Operate a point-of-sale system including online sales, bookings and payments, as well as handling cash and Interac card payments, responsible for accurate reporting
- Be knowledgeable about all CVC Conservation Areas and surrounding communities in order to inform visitors
- Maintain a good relationship with Conservation Area members, community groups and partners
- Work effectively alone and during non-daylight hours in a variety of weather conditions
- Perform other applicable duties as needed
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.