Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
To provide excellent customer service and delivery of full conservation area program and operations at three of CVC’s conservation areas and managed lands: Terra Cotta Conservation Area, Belfountain Conservation Area and the Cheltenham Badlands. These positions rotate between all three properties and report to Terra Cotta Conservation Area in Halton Hills and Belfountain Conservation Area and The Cheltenham Badlands in Caledon.
- Must possess a valid Class “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing. Successful candidate must provide a MTO Driver’s Abstract
- Experience driving all-terrain vehicles
- Landscaping and trail maintenance experience
- Strong communication and customer service experience
- Cash handling experience
- Ability to easily engage with the public and staff both verbally and in written correspondence
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail
- Ability to clean and maintain facilities including washrooms and public areas
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays
- Basic carpentry, plumbing and landscaping or trail maintenance experience are an asset
- Interpretation experience is an asset
- Standard first aid and CPR certification is beneficial but not required
Summary of Major Tasks
- Safe operation and daily inspection of Conservation Parks equipment
- Handle cash and multiple forms of payment, operate a point of sale system and be responsible for accurate end of day reports and settlement
- Assist with the set-up of picnics, events and weddings
- Carry out park maintenance which includes, but not limited to heavy lifting, carpentry, plumbing and trail maintenance
- Carrying out daily routine tasks as well as other assigned duties
- Be knowledgeable about all CVC conservation areas, events and activities to provide information to visitors
- Maintain a good working relationship with staff, conservation crea members and visitors, community groups and on-site operators
- Work effectively alone and during non-daylight hours
- Collecting data on wildlife sightings, monitoring species at risk habitats (e.g. turtle nesting)
- Perform other duties as needed
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.