Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Senior Specialist, Enforcement and working with Provincial Offences Officers, this position will provide security services to Conservation Parks by actively enforcing the Conservation Authorities Act, Trespass to Property Act and CVC Policies. This position will also provide special event assistance and parking lot management during peak periods at several CVC Conservation Areas.
- Must possess a valid Class “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing. Successful candidate must provide a MTO Driver’s Abstract (condition of employment)
- Must possess a valid Private Security and Investigative Services Act Licence for the Province of Ontario (condition of employment)
- Police reference check with vulnerable sector screening required (condition of employment)
- Must possess a valid First Aid and CPR certificate (condition of employment)
- Enrolled in, or recent graduate of an accredited Police Foundations program or similar preferred
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability engage with the public and staff both verbally and in written correspondence
- Be available to work varied shifts and all weekends and holidays
- Advanced customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions
- Knowledge of conflict management and de-escalation tactics and application
Summary of Major Tasks
Perform the following tasks under limited direction:
- Offer accurate information to visitors about park programs, rates, fees and activities
- Receive visitor concerns and complaints with the ability to direct them to appropriate CVC staff
- Perform regular scheduled and irregular patrols of Conservation Areas by foot
- Assist in responding to and addressing reports of compliance violations
- Assist in parking lot management, including ingress and egress in conjunction with Conservation Area staff
- Assist with visitor flow and crowd control during special events and high visitation periods
- Lock and secure Conservation Areas as required
- Educate and promote compliance with Conservation Authorities Act and Regulations as well as the Trespass to Property Act
- Work with CVC Provincial Offences Officers and municipal law enforcement regularly to monitor activities on Conservation Lands
- Prepare documentation for supervisors by way of patrol forms, occurrence reports and incident reports
- Prepare documents with assistance from Provincial Offences Officers for court as required
- Assist with grounds maintenance such as litter collection and washroom maintenance as required
- Perform other duties as needed