Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
To provide excellent customer service and administration of full conservation area program and operations at CVC’s Ken Whillans area for the summer fishing and recreation program. This position operates from Ken Whillans RMA in Caledon.
- Must possess a valid Class “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing. Successful candidate must provide a MTO Driver’s Abstract
- Experience driving all-terrain vehicles
- Ability to easily engage with the public and staff both verbally and in written correspondence
- Be able to work in adverse weather conditions and be available to work all weekends and holidays
- Strong communication and customer service experience
- Cash handling experience
- Ability to lift a 50lb battery
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail
- Ability to clean and maintain washrooms and public areas
- Possess Pleasure Craft Operator Card, or ability to obtain before start of contract
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays
- Basic carpentry and landscaping experience are an asset
- Knowledge of fishing techniques and species
- Standard first aid and CPR certification is beneficial but not required
Summary of Major Tasks
Perform the following tasks under limited direction:
- Safe operation and daily inspection of equipment
- Handle cash and multiple forms of payment, operate a point of sale system. Be responsible for accurate end of day reports and settlement
- Assist with the set-up of picnics, events and weddings
- Carry out park maintenance which includes, but not limited to heavy lifting, carpentry, plumbing and grounds maintenance
- Carrying out daily routine tasks as well as other assigned duties
- Be knowledgeable about all CVC Conservation Areas and events and activities in order to inform visitors
- Maintain a good working relationship with staff, Conservation Area members and visitors, community groups and on-site operators
- Work effectively alone and during non-daylight hours
- Collecting data on wildlife sightings, monitoring species at risk habits (ie turtle nesting)
- Perform other duties as needed
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.