Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
This position is responsible for leading the operations of CVC’s Corporate Communications department to develop and deliver comprehensive communications, marketing and social media plans, products and activities. This position also manages resources to deliver print, electronic and web-related services to establish a consistent brand that stakeholders recognize as their reliable source of environmental knowledge, skills and services.
- University education in Public Relations, Communications, Public Administration or related discipline
- 7-10 years related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience in backend website updates (e.g. WordPress)
- Experience in content management and web tracking
- Experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of a strategic communications plan
- Extensive knowledge of communications practice, both theory and principle
- Solid experience in project management
- Excellent written, oral and visual communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration and leadership skills with internal and external partners
- Crisis management and issues management skills
Summary of Major Tasks
Manage operations, staffing, programs, services and budgets of the Corporate Communications Department
- Provide communications, marketing, social media, graphic design, print production and website services for CVC’s internal and external stakeholders
- Oversee annual communications work planning across departments
- Direct work of staff, manage daily performance, boost morale
- Coach and mentor staff to develop talent and foster a cohesive team
- Manage department budget including development, control, tracking and reporting
- Remain current on political, social and environmental news/events impacting conservation authorities, municipal partners and provincial ministries
- Support and jointly organize events, public consultations, bus tours and workshops
- Produce annual newspaper and search for sponsors
Lead development and implementation of strategic corporate communication plans and messages to promote CVC as an environmental leader
- Develop and execute communication strategies, plans and tactics
- Set policies for Communication services
- Provide strategic advice to senior management and staff regarding best practices in effective communication methods, technologies and tools
- Consult, collaborate and support senior management in issues and crises
Ensure quality assurance and quality control
- Review, edit and revise marketing, communications, design and web products ensuring adherence to Canadian Press writing style, CVC writing guidelines and readability for target audiences
- Ensure CVC brand standards are adhered to by departments and external stakeholders by giving final approval to production and publication
- Develop and write an editorial style guide outlining standards for spelling and capitalization for CVC printed material
- Oversee production and distribution of communication material
- Oversee, prepare and edit Communication requests for proposals, conduct final review and approvals of consultants, suppliers and freelancers
- Oversee media relations program for CVC
- Promote media coverage for departments and the organization as a whole
- Develop and maintain coverage for departments and the organization
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with reporters
- Write and distribute news releases, media advisories, backgrounders, pitch story ideas and concepts
- Advise, counsel management and subject experts regarding messaging
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.