Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
The position will support the Water and Climate Change Science division on water quality and stormwater management modeling projects. CVC have developed models for water balance and several key water quality parameters using MIKE SHE modeling software. This position would be responsible for further refinement of these models, running climate change scenarios, and generating new models for additional water quality parameters. CVC, in collaboration with Sustainable Technologies Evaluation Program (STEP) has also developed a Low Impact Development Treatment Train Tool (LIDTTT) for designing and evaluating performance of Low Impact Development (LID) features. This position would be responsible for setting up this tool on LID features CVC is monitoring for performance evaluation. On the job training related to existing models will be provided.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in water resources, environmental science or related area
- One year experience with water quality/quantity and stormwater modeling
- Familiarity with MIKE SHE platform and stormwater model(s) would be an asset
- Some knowledge of urban and rural hydrology/water quality concepts
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new software and tools
- Strong technical writing skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Summary of Major Tasks
- Refine existing MIKE SHE water quality models to simulate total phosphorus, total suspended solids, and water temperature
- Run models for various climate change and land-use change scenarios
- Setup LIDTTT on LID features that CVC is monitoring for performance evaluation
- Calibrate and validate the LIDTTT and generate water quality and quantity performance reports
- Maintain detailed documentation of modeling status, decisions and procedures
- Present findings at internal and external meetings
- Write, edit, and review summary reports
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.