Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Capital Projects Technician, this position requires the candidate to provide support to the Capital Projects team in delivering construction and maintenance of conservation area infrastructure (e.g. boardwalks, trails, bridges, signage, facilities and other visitor amenities) through the Credit Valley Watershed.
- High School Diploma
- Completion of courses/training related to trades and maintenance activities an asset
- Experience or knowledge in general construction, carpentry, or property maintenance/landscaping duties
- Experience operating all-terrain vehicles, tractors and other motorized equipment
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Must possess a valid Class “G2” or “G” driver’s license in good standing
- Additional MTO licensing (e.g. D, A, etc.) or is considered an asset
- Ability to operate mechanical or power tools and equipment (e.g. saws, drills, nail guns, etc.)
- Standard first aid and CPR is an asset
- Must be able to work outdoors and in adverse weather conditions
- Must be able to lift and carry 30 kilograms for extended periods
- Able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with others
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively both as a team member or independently
- Ability to take instruction, and effectively manage time
Summary of Major Tasks
- Assist the Capital Projects Crew in the construction and maintenance of CVC conservation infrastructure (e.g. trails, boardwalks, pedestrian bridges, washrooms, kiosks, signage, visitor amenities, etc.)
- Operate and maintain trucks, trailers and other motorized equipment to carry out various construction and maintenance projects
- Operate and maintain light and heavy construction machinery
- Operate power tools and related mechanical construction and excavation equipment
- Carry out general transportation and delivery of construction materials to site
- Install and maintain various construction site safety fencing, signage and sediment and erosion control measures
- Ensure the safe operation and daily inspection of CVC-owned and operated equipment
- Completes capital project tasks in a safe manner by following all health and safety policies and safe work procedures
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health as a condition of employment and must have satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.