Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Manager, Information Management at Credit Valley Conservation (CVC), this position will be responsible for development, management and integration of all database applications including business analysis, database application, design, development and maintenance. The primary role will be to address the migration of frontend database applications, originally designed and developed in MS Access, to a new environment. This position will work closely with Manager of Information Management, database team members, and IT administrators on various tasks. Work will be performed according to guidelines, standards and recommendations provided by CVC. This role will also support core GIS team by helping to creating widgets and other required development work on a need basis.
Job tasks will include, but not limited to reviewing and assessing existing MS Access files, developing a plan of approach for their conversion and redesign, executing the conversion and help facilitate User Acceptance Testing, and comprehensive testing of the final product. We are looking for a flexible, open-minded individual who is willing to go extra mile to file solutions to complex problems.
- University degree or College diploma in Computer Science or related discipline focusing on data management systems
- Database management experience including database design (logical data models) and implementation of design into physical database
- At least 5 years of MS Access experience; application planning and development, and related programing languages
- Solid understanding of on-premise database server and Microsoft azure cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience with mobile application development or data collection application platform an asset
- 3 to 5 years of Microsoft SQL experience; network implementation, user set-up, table and stored procedure development, and security
- Experience with integration of relational database systems with other systems including but not limited to ESRI based GIS systems
- Experience with business analysis and application development methods
- Experience in a multi-departmental team environment
- Negotiations experience an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of solid experience in SQL Server management, SQL querying, .Net Standard, .Net Core, C#, DOTVVM, Windows Services, .Net Worker Services, Visual Studio, .Net API, Entity Framework, Dapper, Microsoft Graph API and Knowledge of Azure Environment
- Pro-active with “service-first” attitude, positive attitude with a great customer service as it requires interacting with clients for business requirement gathering
- Solid understanding of network database fundamentals
- Demonstrated programming skills in .Net, VB.Net, C#, C++
- Experience in Node JS and other SQL related frameworks
- Experience with REST and related APIs
- Good functional ability with Structured Query Language (familiarity with ESRI based GIS solutions, concepts and Enterprise GIS systems
- Demonstrated advanced problem-solving abilities
- Fundamental understanding of database systems, management and design
- Knowledge of software development process and associated best practices
- Good to expert knowledge of Microsoft Access (CVC currently uses Office 365, Access build 1902) and VBA
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio and SQL Server software (CVC currently uses SQL Server 2016)
- Proficiency in SQL and P/L SQL –MS SQL Server 2012/2016
- Creative, yet logical approach to GUI design
- Working knowledge of PowerShell
- Familiarity with Microsoft Power BI
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Good problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Capability to produce thorough documentation and metadata
- Enhanced attention to detail
- Ability to work with staff representing a variety of professional disciplines
- Excellent visual modeling skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Summary of Major Tasks
Database Migration and Application Development
- Plan, design and develop database applications using industry standard tools and technology
- Graphic User Interface (GUI) design and implementation
- Securing applications based on Windows authentication and implementing authorization where applicable
- Report generation and data validation
- System unit testing following best practices
- Support for migration of MS Access databases to SQL server environment
Database Administration and Integration with GIS and Business Intelligence (BI) Systems
- Work with Manager, Information Management and administer CVC’s databases
- Develop standards for managing and operating CVC databases and help coordinate the development and implementation of corporate database standards
- Review, plan, create and implement database recovery procedures and standards for database security; installation/configuration, monitoring, backup/recovery, optimization and security processes
- Provide advice and direction on the creation of corporate database and custom applications development projects including design, development, testing, documentation, deployment and maintenance
- Research and maintain up to date knowledge of current and future database trends and techniques. Write scripts and apply the changes to migrate to a new build
- Research and maintain up to date knowledge of current and future database trends and techniques
- Work with core GIS/IM teams to integrate various spatial and non-spatial data, databases to centralized system
- Work with Information Management teams to help create data warehousing, security and permission set ups
Documentation and UAT
- Creation of supporting documentation
- Provide support for User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Be flexible and agile as per the business needs
- Any other duties and projects as appropriate to the position, which includes back-up support for the Records and Information Management System (RIMS) project