Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
The Environmental Outreach and Communications Technician helps advance private land stewardship and inspire environmental action in the Credit River Watershed by implementing and contributing to the development of innovative outreach and communications tools, resources, campaigns and activities that foster behaviour change. The technician works closely with the Environmental Outreach Specialist and senior outreach program coordinators to support individual program needs and liaises with CVC’s marketing and communications division.
- Post-secondary education in environmental sciences or studies, science communications, social sciences, or related discipline
- Minimum one year experience related to major tasks
- Experience supporting events and marketing and communications activities
- Experience performing research, data collection, analysis, and report preparation
- Experience working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and organizations
- Experience supporting the delivery of outreach and promotional tactics and campaigns.
- Experience using MS Office
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of ecological and environmental conservation principles and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to research and draft a variety of digital and print communications materials including articles, ads, social media posts, e-publications and reports
- Knowledge of digital communications tools (e.g., MailChimp, Survey Monkey)
- Technical knowledge and familiarity with webinar-delivery tactics and platforms (Microsoft Teams specifically)
- Ability to think strategically and analytically
- Ability to collect, input, organize, and manipulate data in Excel
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Valid class ‘G’ Driver’s License
- Able to work some weekends and evenings
Summary of Major Tasks
Outreach and Communications
- Support program staff in the coordination, delivery, and administration of in-person and virtual events, including managing event registration, providing technical support during webinar delivery, and coordinating post-event surveys and follow-up communications
- Create, manage, and deploy all program surveys
- Support the deployment of program and event marketing and promotional tactics
- Coordinate and support staff in responding to incoming inquiries related to private land stewardship
- Support the Environmental Outreach Specialist and senior outreach program coordinators in the review and update of content on program web pages
- Conduct market and audience research to support program development, outreach materials and promotional tactics
- Organize and maintain documents, files, photos, and materials.
- Participate in promotional planning, development, and administration.
- Coordinate, monitor and manage tree and shrub orders through CVC’s online store.
- Track metrics, enter data, analyze and prepare summary reports.
- Provide technical assistance to staff and participants for webinar preparation and delivery.
- Assist in the preparation of project proposals and reports; maintain project records and contacts.
- Liaise with internal staff and assist in coordination of collaborative projects.
Other duties as assigned