Technician, Aquatic Restoration (1 Contract Position)
Anticipated Start and End Dates: October 14th, 2019 – October 14th, 2020 (35 hours/week), Contract
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Technician, Aquatic Restoration (1 Contract Position)
Summary of Functions
Reporting to Senior Coordinator, Aquatic Restoration, this position is responsible for providing project support for the design, planning and implementation of stream and aquatic restoration projects. This position operates within the Aquatic and Wetland Restoration and Management Program (restoration and management of riverine and coastal aquatic, and wetland systems). Duties include restoration project planning, research related to aquatic restoration, construction and construction site support, landowner site visits and developing additional restoration projects.
- College or University degree specializing in habitat restoration, fisheries, ecosystem management, biology, ecology, geography, and/or environmental sciences
- Minimum 3 years of experience related to the major tasks
- Experience in developing riverine restoration projects including funding applications, design, monitoring, construction and permitting
- Experience in wetland and stream restoration project construction and construction site operation
- Good knowledge of stream and wetland function, fisheries, fluvial geomorphology, and coastal processes
- Working knowledge in data collection and basic restoration techniques such as planting, bioengineering, land surveying, habitat surveys, installation of sediment and erosion control, power tools and construction of habitat structures
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation including Conservation Authorities Act, Endangered Species Act, Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act, Federal Fisheries Act, and others
- Knowledge of GIS, MS Word, Access, Total Station Survey equipment and Excel
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational skills in coordinating study input and project management.
- Driver’s License, Electrofishing Certificate (an asset), and Pleasure Craft Operators Card (an asset)
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under General Supervision:
- Provide support towards managing and implementing aquatic and wetland restoration projects through funding applications, procurement, budgeting, permit applications, sediment and erosion control installation, restoration construction site support and related tasks
- Gather field information relevant towards developing a restoration plan including field surveys, collection of biological and stream monitoring, wetland monitoring, fluvial geomorphological surveys and related items
- Work with community organizations in developing and implementing restoration projects and attend meetings as required
- Act as a crew leader or site supervisor for casual and contract staff, volunteers and partner organizations as required
- Liaison with agencies (e.g. MNRF) regarding science, policy, guidelines and permitting
- Follow health and safety practices
- Cooperate, liaise-with and support other departments as required
Salary starting at: $54,992
Forward resume by September 22nd, 2019 to:
Please quote "Technician, Aquatic Restoration (1 Contract Position)" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.