Rattray Marsh Invasive Species Volunteer Steward
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Rattray Marsh Invasive Species Volunteer Steward
Become a Rattray Marsh Volunteer Steward:
Do you love Rattray Marsh? Would you like to spend more time outdoors? Would you like to learn about invasive species and help us protect the marsh from these species? Then consider becoming a ‘Rattray Marsh Volunteer Steward’.
The ‘Rattray Marsh Volunteer Stewards’ are the long-term caretakers of designated areas of Rattray Marsh Conservation Area. The Volunteer Stewards are responsible for a number of invasive species monitoring and management and restoration activities within their adopted area under the guidance of Credit Valley Conservation.
- Attend key Volunteer Stewards Training workshops.
- Visit the property at least 6 times per year to monitor and manage your area for invasive species (spring, summer and fall).
- Be willing and able to work off-trail. Off-trail work comes with several associated hazards and risks such as slippery surfaces, uneven terrain, and poison ivy.
- Work will involve physical activity such as pulling of invasive plants and shrubs.
- Help restore native plant populations where needed by replanting native species.
- Report any new invasive species occurrences in your area to the CVC Invasive Species Management Technician.
- Report any invasive species which the volunteer cannot manage on their own to the CVC Invasive Species Management Technician.
- Promptly fill out the Trail Monitoring datasheet and submit to the CVC Invasive Species Management Technician through an online recording system.
- Hand in the Volunteer Steward Log Book at the end of the year to the CVC Invasive Species Management Technician.
- Follow the procedures set out in the Rattray Marsh Volunteer Stewards Training Manual.
- All necessary training required will be provided.
Eligibility RequirementsSkills or Education Required:
- Good observation skills
- Knowledge of local flora
- Familiarity with Rattray Marsh Conservation Area (trail system and natural areas)
- Have moderate physical ability
- Spoken: Intermediate
- Written: Basic
Summary of Major TasksTraining Provided:
- General CVC and Health & Safety
- Job specific training
- Spend time in beautiful Rattray Marsh
- Learn about invasive plants and other native flora
- Be part of CVC’s Invasive Species Program
- Be part of keeping Rattray Marsh free of invasive plants
- Get valuable experience in the environmental sector
- Gain volunteer hours and recognition for your work
- Meet CVC staff and work as part of a great team