Environmental Outreach Assistant – Urban Landowner Outreach (1 Casual position)
Anticipated Start and End Dates: May 4 to September 4, 2020 (35 hours/week), Seasonal
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Environmental Outreach Assistant – Urban Landowner Outreach (1 Casual position)
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The selected candidate will help with the implementation of projects that further CVC’s objectives in the areas of building urban sustainability and resilience, adapting to and mitigating climate change, and reconnecting communities with nature. This is an exciting opportunity for hands-on learning about sustainable landscaping practices in the urban environment through CVC’s Your Green Yard and Greening Corporate Grounds programs.
The position helps with implementation of sustainable landscaping, habitat creation and other stewardship projects; site monitoring and maintenance; community, residential and corporate/institutional planting and outreach events, and program administration.
- Preferably enrolled in or completed a college/university diploma or degree in environmental studies/science, ecological restoration, ecological landscaping or related field.
- Experience in landscaping / tree planting / forestry / ecology / conservation / environmental sustainability project implementation.
- Excellent customer service.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Physically able to dig, plant and maintain small to medium plant stock (not caliper size) and undertake light construction.
- Some knowledge of (native) plant identification.
- Ability to engage with the public and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Standard PC skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to work some weekends and evenings.
- A valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license required.
- Familiarity with sustainable landscaping best practices.
- Soil sampling and classification skills an asset.
- GIS experience/familiarity an asset.
- Photography skills an asset.
Summary of Major Tasks
- Support coordination, organizing and tracking of planting and outreach events;
- Aid with site preparation, terrestrial plantings and habitat creation;
- Maintain and monitor sustainable landscape features, e.g., demonstration gardens;
- Assist with set-up, tear-down, public engagement and hands-on activities at events;
- Assist with sustainable landscaping project research, writing, planning and delivery;
- Follow appropriate health and safety protocols and procedures.
Salary starting at: $14.50/ hour
Forward resume by April 6th, 2020 to:
Please quote "Environmental Outreach Assistant – Urban Landowner Outreach (1 Casual position)" in the subject line of your application email, as well as in the resume/letter.
Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Word or PDF format as one document.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.