Crew Member, Watershed Monitoring (Benthos)
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Crew Member, Watershed Monitoring (Benthos)
Summary of Functions
The primary function of this position is to provide technical field and sample processing assistance to the benthic macroinvertebrate component of the Integrated Watershed Monitoring Program (IWMP). The successful candidate will also provide assistance to other aquatic and terrestrial components, as required.
- Must be currently enrolled in or have completed a college/university diploma or degree program specializing in biology, ecology, environmental science or a related environmental field.
- Must have a valid Class ‘G’ Driver’s License. The successful applicant will be required to provide a MTO Driver’s Abstract.
- Must be willing to work under adverse environmental conditions and for extended periods in a laboratory.
- Experience in sampling, sorting and identification of benthic macroinvertebrates.
- Must be able to identify benthic invertebrates to at least the OBBN 27-group level, to family level is preferred.
- Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol (OSAP), Ontario Benthos Biomonitoring Network (OBBN) and Society for Freshwater Science (SFS) Taxonomic Certifications are considered assets.
- Experience in data collection in any of the following areas is considered an asset: stream flow, water quality, electrofishing and fish identification, fluvial geomorphology, tree health, salamanders and frogs.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite Software (Word, Excel, Access)
- Standard first aid and CPR preferred.
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under limited direction.
- Sample, sort and identify benthic macroinvertebrates from monitoring sites within the Credit River Watershed.
- Entry and Qa/Qc of benthic macroinvertebrate data.
- Provide field and data management assistance to the other components of the IWMP (stream flow, water quality, fisheries, geomorphology, and terrestrial), or other CVC projects as required.
- Anticipated Start and End Dates:
- May 22, 2018 to November 23, 2018 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $14.64 per hour
Forward resume by March 18, 2018 to:
Please quote "Crew Member, Watershed Monitoring (Benthos)" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.