Crew Leader, Forestry
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Crew Leader, Forestry
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
Reporting to the Forest Management Technician, this position may oversee or be a part of a small crew in the planting of trees, shrubs and seedlings through the CVC Reforestation programs. The position requires experience in the safe operation of vehicles, tractors, trailers and equipment supporting these programs. Other duties will include supporting the production and maintenance of nursery stock, collection of forest inventory, tree removals, and other monitoring data and supervision of casual staff as required. This position will be based out of the Warwick CVC Nursery and Workshop, 15526 Heart Lake Road, Caledon.
- Post-secondary studies in Forestry, Arboriculture, Horticulture, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science or Biology is preferred
- Chainsaw Operation and Maintenance Certificate is an asset
- Forestry Exterminator License or Pesticide Technician Certification is an asset
- Valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s License required
- Outdoor work experience in forestry, tree planting, habitat restoration and supervisory experience related to major tasks
- Proven experience with the safe operation of, chainsaws, wood chippers, mechanical reforestation planters, tractors, ATV’s and landscape maintenance equipment
- Proven experience with the safe hauling, loading, and unloading of trucks and trailers
- Experience collecting forest inventory data
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access
- Knowledge of forest silvicultural techniques and the ability to interpret forest management plans
- Good tree, shrub and plant identification skills
- Knowledge of chainsaw maintenance and safety required
- Tractor operation and maintenance skills an asset
- Knowledge of the safe handling of bare root seedlings
Summary of Major TasksCrew Leading
- Operation of mechanical equipment including: chainsaws, wood chippers, vehicles, tractors, brush saws, ATV, water pumps, trailers
- Supervising a small field crew in the planting of reforestation seedlings in various natural environments on private lands
- Conducting work in a safe manner. Ensuring all CVC health and safety policies and procedures are adhered to
- Collecting forest inventory data for managed forest plans
- Assist in the creation of managed forest plans and other reports as required
- Assist with reforestation effectiveness monitoring as required
- Assisting a crew in the planting of reforestation seedlings on public and private lands
- Assisting a crew while conducting forest management activities on public and private land
- Assisting with site preparation of planting sites, including invasive plant species control
- Provide assistance and direction to the crew and ensure that tasks are completed as planned and in a safe manner
- Anticipated Start and End Dates: April 1, 2019 – December 6, 2019 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $19.75 per hour
Forward resume by February 17, 2019 to:
Please quote "Crew Leader, Forestry" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.