Crew Leader, CYC (4 Positions)
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Crew Leader, CYC (4 Positions)
Summary of Functions
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Reporting to the Senior Coordinator, CYC, Crew Leaders support the Branch Out, Conservation Youth Corps (CYC), and Community Outreach stewardship events.
In the spring and fall, Crew Leaders will deliver the Branch Out program to over 2000 youth in the Credit River watershed. They enhance science and geography curriculum by facilitating in-class workshops to raise awareness about local climate change issues. Following the workshops, Crew Leaders meet classes at local restoration sites to lead them through a full day of environmental action and learning.
During each week of July and August, Crew Leaders are responsible for supervising and leading a crew of 7 Conservation Youth Corps volunteers. These volunteers work for one week to support a variety of environmental restoration and stewardship projects. Crew Leaders must act as a positive role model and safely lead volunteers in outdoor stewardship work such as trail maintenance, invasive species removal, native species plantings, and stream restoration.
Crew Leaders also support the Community Outreach team at weekend events such as community and corporate tree plantings. These events reach diverse audiences outside of our regular youth programming.
Candidates should have strong leadership and supervisory experience and should be able to motivate youth with positive enthusiasm in the performance of their duties. Crew Leaders are expected to partake in all activities, which may include strenuous physical activities in the outdoors
- Post-secondary education in Environmental Science/Studies, Ecology, Education, or related disciplines;
- 1 year experience related to restoration, environmental education and/or stewardship project implementation;
- Ability to identify common flora and fauna and interpret nature;
- Experience in volunteer management and supervision (with youth preferred);
- Understanding of group dynamics and team building;
- Advanced communication and customer service skills;
- Experience driving larger vehicles and trailers an asset (training provided);
- Able to work weekends (including Earth Day weekend);
- Valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license (condition of employment);
- Driver’s abstract (condition of employment);
- Standard First Aid (condition of employment);
- Police reference check with vulnerable sector screening (condition of employment).
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under limited direction:
- Assist with the development of program materials, including education programs and stewardship opportunities for participants;
- Load, prepare, and maintain program equipment and materials;
- Act as an ambassador for CVC at schools and community stewardship events;
- Supervise tree planting, invasive species removal, stream rehabilitation, and other “eco-experiences” to create a positive and inspiring experience for volunteers;
- Provide complete supervision, leadership and motivation for a team of 9 youth in the summer while ensuring a safe and positive work environment;
- Deliver educational programming to broaden participants’ environmental knowledge and awareness;
- Loading, delivery and set up of trees and shrubs at stewardship sites;
- Follow schedules and maintain daily logs and program administration;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Anticipated Start and End Dates: March 25th, 2019 to November 8th, 2019 (35 hours/week)
- Work Locations: There are two key work locations for this position. Applicants must have the ability to get to and from these locations on a daily basis:
- Head Office: 1255 Old Derry Road, Mississauga, ON L5N 6R4
- Warwick Office: 15526 Heart Lake Road, Caledon, ON L7C 2L2
Salary starting at: $19.75 per hour
Forward resume by January 27, 2019 to:
Please quote "Crew Leader, CYC (4 Positions)" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.