Building Operations Assistant
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Building Operations Assistant
Summary of Functions
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
This position is responsible for assisting with preventative and routine maintenance activities for the CVC Administration Office in Mississauga while providing courteous and effective service to members of the public as well as CVC staff.
- High School Diploma
- Building Environmental Systems (BES), Level 2 is preferred
- Completion of courses/training related to trades and maintenance activities an asset
- Demonstrated general repair skills in carpentry, plumbing, water heating and electrical systems
- Up to one year of experience related to major tasks
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbal and written, with all levels within the company
- Ability to achieve quality results using logical approaches to resolve challenges
- Ability to allocate one’s time effectively (prioritize) and manage multiple demands with tight deadlines
- Ability to pick up and carry 50 lbs.
- General mechanical aptitude and ability (e.g. grounds maintenance equipment)
- Ability to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license in good standing
Summary of Major TasksBuilding Maintenance
- Assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the administration office building, including minor carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical work.
- Assist with waste, recycling, and hazardous materials issues
- Grounds maintenance of the main office, including but not limited to: grass cutting, snow shoveling, interior and exterior window cleaning, gardens maintenance, garbage disposal and litter pick up.
- Ensure that kitchen and bathroom areas are clean and supplies are stocked throughout the day.
- Monitor, inspect and assist in the maintenance of building systems, including alarm systems (24-hour response for alarms).
- Monitor and maintain the security cameras.
- Assist with all emergency situations involving system failures, mechanical breakdowns, and service disruption.
- Order building maintenance supplies, and ensure that paper supply by the photocopiers is fully stocked.
- Respond to problems or queries in a timely manner
- Assist staff with requests and maintain positive relations with the manner in which work is performed and services delivered.
- Participate in corporate occupational health and safety program, e.g. check fire extinguishers, participate in JHSC meetings
- Quickly respond to and repair health & safety hazards.
- Troubleshooting and Repairs
- Assist in minor repair and building maintenance, including minor carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical work.
- Identify HVAC, water system and electric system issues and report them to Building Operations Manager
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to the position.
- Anticipated Start and End Dates: July 9, 2018 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $45,226
Forward resume by June 24, 2018 to:
Please quote "Building Operations Assistant" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.