Environmental Outreach Assistant (Rural)
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Environmental Outreach Assistant (Rural)
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
This is an exciting opportunity for contributing to protection and enhancement of the rural landscape through CVC’s Countryside Stewardship program. Program staff conduct outreach activities that influence landowner behaviours to protect water sources, build the resilience of our natural systems to climate change and improve habitat for fish and wildlife.
This position provides technical and administrative support to the Countryside Stewardship program; assists with targeted outreach activities such as door-to-door visits and preparation of materials for direct mail campaigns; assists with the development of communication materials; assists with the coordination and delivery of outreach events; conducts data entry, file and contact management, and other administrative tasks.
- Preferably enrolled in or completed a college/university diploma or degree program in environmental studies/science, ecology, geography or related field.
- Work experience or knowledge and interest in conservation, environmental stewardship, communications and outreach
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to write about technical subjects for non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated organizational, administrative and research skills
- Works well independently with good attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills and comfortable engaging with a wide range of stakeholders
- Physically able to do some manual lifting
- Strong computer skills: Word, Excel, Power Point, Access
- Knowledge of GIS and/or photography an asset
- Able to work some weekends and evenings
- A valid Class’ G’ Ontario driver’s license is required
Summary of Major Tasks
- Support targeted outreach activities by preparing maps and communications materials; conducting door-to-door visits to encourage rural landowners to participate in CVC programs
- Reorganize, categorize and file program photos
- Assist with coordination of and attendance at stewardship outreach events
- Conduct data entry, file and contact management, and other administrative duties as assigned
- Follow health and safety practices
- Anticipated Start and End Dates (flexible): June 3 to July 26, 2019 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $14.50 per hour
Forward resume by April 24, 2019 to:
Please quote "Environmental Outreach Assistant (Rural)" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.