Assistant, Building and Nursery Operations (Warwick Conservation Area, Caledon)
Anticipated Start and End Dates: October 7th, 2019 to October 7th, 2020, Contract
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Assistant, Building and Nursery Operations (Warwick Conservation Area, Caledon)
Summary of Functions
This position is responsible for assisting with preventative and routine maintenance activities for the CVC Administration Office and Nursery Operations in Caledon while providing courteous and effective service to members of the public as well as CVC staff.
- High School Diploma
- Post-secondary studies in Horticulture, Forestry, Agriculture or applicable nursery related work experience preferred
- Pesticide Technician or Exterminator License an asset
- Building Environmental Systems (BES), Level 2 an asset
- Completion of courses/training related to trades and maintenance activities an asset
- Up to one year of experience related to major tasks
- Demonstrated general repair skills in carpentry, plumbing, water, heating, electrical systems
- Proven experience in the safe operation of trucks with trailers, farm tractors (with a variety of implements), RTVs/ATVs, tank sprayers, snow plows/blowers, mowers, and other landscape maintenance equipment and power tools
- Working knowledge of nursery operations
- Good plant identification skills
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbal and written, with all levels within the company
- Ability to achieve quality results using logical approaches to resolve challenges
- Ability to allocate one’s time effectively and manage multiple demands with tight deadlines
- Ability to pick up and carry 50 lbs.
- General mechanical aptitude and ability (e.g. grounds maintenance equipment)
- Ability to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license in good standing
Summary of Major Tasks
- Assist the Coordinator, Nursery Operations with the operation and maintenance of the Warwick (Caledon) nursery, including:
- Potting nursery stock
- Stock maintenance, including: pruning, weeding, pest control, crop spacing, watering, fertilization, and other plant care practices
- Irrigation system operation, maintenance, and repair
- Seed collection
- Winterization of nursery stock
- Preparation, shipment, delivery, and pick-up of stock orders and supplies
- Assist in cleaning and maintenance of Warwick (Caledon) office building, including:
- Ensuring that the office, kitchen, lunchroom, and washroom areas are clean, and supplies are stocked throughout the day
- Disposing of waste, recycling and hazardous materials
- Perform grounds maintenance for the office building and nursery, including: grass cutting, snow removal, interior and exterior window cleaning, gardens maintenance, litter pick up and other general maintenance activities
- Operation of mechanical equipment, including: pickup and dump trucks with trailers, farm tractors (with a variety of implements), RTVs, ATVs, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, backpack blowers, tank sprayers, snow blowers/plows, mowers, and a variety of handheld power tools
- Order building maintenance and office supplies; ensure supplies are stocked throughout the day
- Respond to problems or queries in a timely manner
- Assist staff with requests and maintain positive relations through the manner in which work is performed and services delivered
- Participate in the corporate occupational health and safety program, e.g. check fire extinguishers and first aid kits, participate in JHSC meetings, etc.
- Identify and quickly respond to and/or repair health & safety hazards
- Assist in minor repair and building maintenance activities, including minor construction, carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical work
- Identify HVAC, water and electric system, and other infrastructure issues and report them to the Building Operations Manager
- General field support or general labour may be required from time-to-time for program areas including facilities, conservation parks, invasive, restoration and forestry subject to approval of the supervisor.
- Provide backup support in the absence of the Assistant, Building Operations, as required.
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to the position
Salary starting at: Annual Salary Starting at: $46,131
Forward resume by September 17th, 2019 to:
Please quote "Assistant, Building and Nursery Operations (Warwick Conservation Area, Caledon)" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.