Assistant, Building and Nursery Operations (1 contract position)
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Assistant, Building and Nursery Operations (1 contract position)
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
This position is responsible for assisting with preventative and routine maintenance activities for the CVC Administration Office and Nursery Operations in Caledon while providing courteous and effective service to members of the public as well as CVC staff.
- High School Diploma
- Building Environmental Systems (BES), Level 2 an asset
- Completion of courses/training related to trades and maintenance activities an asset
- Up to one year of experience related to major tasks
- Demonstrated general repair skills in carpentry, plumbing, water, heating, electrical systems
- Proven experience in the safe operation of trucks with trailers, farm tractors (with a variety of implements), RTVs/ATVs, tank sprayers, snow plows/blowers, mowers, and other landscape maintenance equipment and power tools
- Working knowledge of nursery operations is an asset
- Pesticide Technician or Exterminator License an asset
- Good plant identification skills an asset
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbal and written, with all levels within the company
- Ability to achieve quality results using logical approaches to resolve challenges
- Ability to allocate one’s time effectively and manage multiple demands with tight deadlines
- Ability to pick up and carry 50 lbs.
- General mechanical aptitude and ability (e.g. grounds maintenance equipment)
- Ability to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license in good standing
Summary of Major Tasks
- Assist in cleaning and maintenance of Warwick (Caledon) office building, including:
- Ensuring that the office, kitchen, lunchroom, and washroom areas are clean, and supplies are stocked throughout the day
- Disposing of waste, recycling and hazardous materials
- Perform grounds maintenance for the office building and nursery, including: grass cutting, snow removal, interior and exterior window cleaning, gardens maintenance, litter pick up and other general maintenance activities
- Operation of mechanical equipment, including: pickup and dump trucks with trailers, farm tractors (with a variety of implements), RTVs, ATVs, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, backpack blowers, tank sprayers, snow blowers/plows, mowers, and a variety of handheld power tools
- Order building maintenance & office supplies; ensure supplies are stocked throughout the day
- Respond to problems or queries in a timely manner
- Assist staff with requests and maintain positive relations through the manner in which work is performed and services delivered
- Participate in the corporate occupational health and safety program, e.g. check fire extinguishers and first aid kits, participate in JHSC meetings, etc.
- Identify and quickly respond to and/or repair health & safety hazards
- Assist in minor repair and building maintenance activities, including minor construction, carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical work
- Identify HVAC, water and electric system, and other infrastructure issues and report them to the Building Operations Manager
- Assist the Coordinator, Nursery Operations with the operation and maintenance of the Warwick (Caledon) nursery, including:
- Potting nursery stock
- Stock maintenance, including: pruning, weeding, pest control, crop spacing, watering, fertilization, and other plant care practices
- Irrigation system operation, maintenance, and repair
- Seed collection
- Winterization of nursery stock
- Preparation, shipment, delivery, and pick-up of stock orders and supplies
- General field support or general labour may be required from time-to-time for program areas including facilities, conservation parks, invasive, restoration and forestry subject to approval of the
- Provide backup support in the absence of the Assistant, Building Operations, as required.
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to the position
- The primary work location is situated in Caledon, Ontario (Heart Lake Road). Secondary work locations (on occasion as required) include CVC facilities in Mississauga (Meadowvale), Caledon (Terra Cotta) or Orangeville/Mono (Island Lake).
- Anticipated Start and End Dates: July 27th, 2020 – July 26th, 2021 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $47,055
Forward resume by July 14, 2020 to:
Please quote "Assistant, Building and Nursery Operations (1 contract position)" in the subject line of your application email, as well as in the resume/letter.
Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Word or PDF format as one document.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.