42-Technician, Capital Projects and Assets
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:42-Technician, Capital Projects and Assets
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
Under the direction of Conservation Lands Planner, Capital Projects and Assets this position is responsible for the assisting in the planning and delivery of capital infrastructure improvements on CVC lands. Key tasks include supporting capital project planning, design, drafting, estimates, acquiring permits, procurement process support, contract administration, site inspections, and close-out/takeover tasks. Secondary responsibilities include supporting technical review, research, review of capital strategic plans and initiatives, collection of field data, and asset management program support.
- Post-secondary education in civil engineering technology, landscape/architectural technology or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 0 to 2 years’ experience related to major tasks
- Experience and knowledge in delivery of capital infrastructure projects in a municipal or public sector environment, and general knowledge of current construction practices, drafting, specification writing, preparation of construction documents, contract administration, cost and quality control, and environmental best management practices
- Associate membership with OACETT or other equivalent professional organization related to the core job tasks, would be considered an asset
- Strong communication skills (written, graphic and oral), strong negotiation, analytical and problem-solving skills, project management experience and excellent customer service with internal and external client groups, consultants, contractors, and staff
- Ability to prepare plans, graphics, construction documents, written reports, and cost estimates
- Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and apply engineering and landscape architectural plans, drawings, details, and specifications
- Ability to prioritize work between multiple projects
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation including the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and their application to major task areas
- General knowledge of relevant land management related legislation and regulations
- Proficiency in computer drafting and design programs (AutoCAD/Civil 3D, ArcGIS)
- Working knowledge of graphic design software is an asset (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Knowledge of Construction Act, Ontario Building Code, Trails Act, Provincial Offences Act and Trespass to Property Act is an asset
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s License
Summary of Major TasksDevelop Plans and Implement Capital Projects
- Provides technical support in the planning, design, construction administration, and monitoring of park infrastructure projects:
- Performs background research, data analysis and provides sound judgement on planning, design, and permitting
- Coordinates review and commenting on technical studies, engineering and landscape architectural plans, drawings, details, and specifications prepared by consultants
- Conducts field work and technical investigations in support of park infrastructure projects
- Assists in site inspection activities and preparation of related documentation (minutes, field notes, photos, GPS/survey points, progress reports etc.)
- Assists in the preparation of workplans, schedules, and estimates for assigned projects
- Prepares draft contract drawings in CAD and/or GIS and draft specifications or other construction documents, under the direction of the Conservation Lands Planner, Capital Projects and Assets
- Supports the procurement of services, materials, and equipment
- Prepares draft as-built drawings as required
- Assist in close-out and project takeover procedures
- Follows best practices and corporate policies and procedures for file and data management
- Implements project drawing standards and best practices
- Records and files technical and financial documentation for capital infrastructure improvement projects
- Utilizes collaboration tools and methods to enable delivery of integrated capital projects involving cross-department teams
- Assists in archival file research, digitization, and cataloging as required
- Assist in condition assessments, site inspections, and technical investigations of built and natural assets in support of CVC’s asset management program
- Reviews, comments, and provides technical input on capital renewal schedules
- Prepares draft summary reports of findings to support asset management decision-making
- Provides technical support on asset management software and documentation (CityWide)
- Provides technical support on asset management data model creation
Additional InformationAnticipated Start Date: July 19, 2021 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $59,713
Forward resume by June 28, 2021 to:
Please quote "42-Technician, Capital Projects and Assets" in the subject line of your application email, as well as in the resume/letter.
Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Word or PDF format as one document.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.