In class: Stormwater Financing and User Fee Workshop
Monday, September 23, 2019
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Holiday Inn & Suites Parkway Conference Centre , St. Catharines (View Map)
Stormwater user fees can provide dedicated, sustainable and increased funding for traditionally underfunded stormwater services and infrastructure. As a result, municipalities in Ontario and Canada are increasingly recognizing the benefits of adopting a user fee approach to fulfill their stormwater management needs and are increasingly adopting stormwater charges or user fees as their main source of funding.
This course will provide an overview of the rationale for implementing stormwater user fees and will guide participants through assessing and undertaking the options, steps and considerations required to develop a municipal stormwater user fee program.
Topics covered include:
- How to identify and develop guiding principles to ensure defensibility of a stormwater charge
- Assessing resources required and available to develop and administer a fee system
- User fee options and considerations for different communities and property types
- Assessing and considering public dynamics when developing a user fee
- Consulting, engaging and educating the public, businesses, elected officials, municipal staff and other audiences
- Developing user fee policies and by-laws
- Operational and administrative considerations
- Developing credit or incentive programs to encourage and recognize stormwater best management practices on private property
Participants will have a chance to discuss real world examples of stormwater user fees through a series of case studies from diverse municipalities. Instructors will share lessons learned from various jurisdictions that have implemented stormwater user fee systems and participants will be able to adapt their learnings to exercises specific their own municipality’s needs.
Contact: Victoria Kring at or email@example.com